Yikes! Someone, near and dear to my heart was speaking to me on the phone the other day about a variety of things while trying to cook. Ooops…I suddenly heard an “OMG” and a bustling over the phone. I ask, “What’s happening, what’s going on?” The reply was, “My stove top is on fire”. I tried to remind this person to grab the fire extinguisher (Huh? Where is it?); “Use a pot cover to cover the pot fire”, I say…but, too late. Unbelievably, a rather large quantity of water was thrown on the electric stove fire…Say what???? I know this person has previously been trained in fire safety and fire prevention because we taught her. But what should have been reviewed more frequently is: What to do if a fire occurs on the stove or in the oven. This was a very dangerous situation and, after the fire, the stove was out of service for about ten days until it could be properly checked out and put back in safe operating condition. Thank goodness, she was able to turn off the circuit breaker and shut it all down. The fire went out then but… what a mess….electricity and wiring, “OMG!”
First of all, let’s speak briefly on prevention. Cooking requires attention to the stove and oven. Speaking on the phone or being engrossed in something else is frequently the cause of fire getting out of control because, attention wasn’t focused on the task at hand and things got out of hand, i.e., grease gets too hot and catches on fire; food spills over onto the stove and catches fire; peoples’ clothing gets to close to the stove and catches fire. Fires happen frequently in ovens too, for many of these same reasons. Cooking is done so frequently that safety is taken for granted. Please remind those you love to cook carefully, watch the clothing they wear near the stove, watch what items they place by the stove and keep an eye on the food …..burned away food catches fire too as do overheated pots and pans — it doesn’t matter if you have an electric or gas stove. Always closely monitor any young adult or child cooking.
Too much alcohol consumed around the holidays, or any day for that matter, can result in a lack of attention to cooking and fires or injury, so this is something to be mindful about and share with others.
Of course in October, we reminded everyone to replace smoke alarm batteries, but, did you do this? If not, perhaps this is a good time to do it…while it is on your mind. In addition, do you know where your fire extinguisher is? Do you know how to use it? Is it still certified or in good working condition – read the expiration date on the label to be sure. Do your family members recall this information or could they use a refresher? Do you have a young adult who recently moved out on their own – perhaps they don’t even have a fire extinguisher at hand or, know how to use it… the holiday season is a great time to educate him or her and these type of safety products do make wonderful and practical holiday gifts.
We love cooking in this house, so my recent experience reminds me to remind others in my circle of family and friends to cook carefully and prevent fires, most importantly, by paying attention to your cooking, stove and oven. It also reminds me to teach, or remind my family, how to put out a kitchen fire safely and where to find the fire extinguisher and, how to use it properly Below please find:
- Fire safety products for the home
- A Link for more specific fire safety prevention tips to share with your friends and family
- A video link for fire extinguisher use
http://How To Use A Fire Extinguisher https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjczu2n4oTYAhXMJiYKHZwYB_0QFggyMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlUojO1HvC8c&usg=AOvVaw2dxndMyma_In4p8A3LL9NC
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”